Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Happy 2012

Happy New Year!

Personally, I hate New Year stuff.  I don't really like New Year's parties, New Year's eve, the fact that everyone uses it as an excuse to try and do everything in their life completely different for a month before they get sick of it and revert back to their old ways.  You know, everything.

But this year, I'm trying something new.  I'm calling it Project 2012.  (Super creative, I know)

The past few months have been rough and 2011, although it started out wonderfully, didn't have a great ending.  I've been feeling pretty down lately and like I've been stuck in a rut, in my personal life, work life, etc.  I go to work and do the same things every day.  Then I come home and do the same things every day.  On the weekends I do the same thing every weekend.  In general, I think I just need a change.  Thus, Project 2012.

Spoiler Alert:  It involves healthier eating, getting involved and a big move.

This isn't a New Year's resolution.  It's a decision to make changes that will make me a happier person.  I don't want to instantly convert to a new lifestyle, change everything about myself or give up anything that I currently enjoy.  I just want to make my life a little better.

Step 1:  Getting involved.  I feel like I don't have a ton of friends.  I don't mean that in a sad way, because I know I do have quite a few awesome friends.  But they don't live around me and the ones that I do I never end up seeing because one of us is always busy.  So I want to start branching out a little more.  Taking a few classes, volunteering, etc.  Just a way to meet some new people and get out of the apartment once in awhile.


I'm happy to say I've already started this step.  I am currently enrolled in both a beginning knitting class (I've always wanted to learn how to knit) and an Adult Tap class.  I used to take a lot of tap when I was young but sadly haven't much since.  Both are going very well and I really enjoyed the first classes of each!


Step 2: Eating Healthier.  Andy and I have both been feeling we should start this.  It's easy to fall into the "This tastes good so I'm going to eat it all the time" trap.  And we have.  Big time.  We've both gained some weight since the wedding, which neither of us is feeling good about and we just haven't been eating great food.  And it's amazing how much that can affect how your body feels and how you feel about yourself.  In addition I recently started taking insulin, which in addition to allowing me to survive (an awesome effect) has also caused me to gain a ton of weight in the past two months (a not so awesome effect).


We haven't started this yet but it will be going into effect this month and will involve a lot of soups and salads. ( Some of my favorite healthy things).  So be prepared for those recipes to show up on the blog!


Step 3: The Big Move.  I can't say much about this, as it's still up in the air as to time and place but we've been feeling like a change of scene for the past year and we've decided to do something about it!  I'll let you know more when I can.  Maybe I'll be moving to a town near you, very soon!


I wish a very happy 2012.  May it be your best year yet!

1 comment:

  1. Erin, I love you. I'm sorry I've been so busy. I am checking your blog while in the middle of doing my online spanish listening exercises!!! haha. :D I feel really similar to you though - like I am pretty stuck. I didn't know I'd be working so much at the restaurant or that the peace corps things would kind of fall through (which it has, big time)... I think this is why I feel so much internal pressure to join the air force - kind of similar to your move to a new town. everybody pretty much is against the idea, people that I really care about too... which makes it hard, but I just really feel like I need to do something about my life, and even if it's a wrong decision/mistake, at least I'm making some sort of choice or move towards improvement....

    ReplyDelete